Dr. Habil. (History), Associate Professor
Ternopil National Economic University, Ternopil, Ukraine
UDC 94(4):327.061 “194/198”
The article is devoted to study history of formation mechanisms of foreign policy of the European Communities in the period before creation of the European Union (40s – 80s of the XXth century). The dynamics formation of the foreign and security component of European integration from the first postwar projects of political association of the leading states of Western Europe (France and Great Britain) to creation in the early 1970s of a mechanism of European political cooperation (EPC) and its further activity are traced. The article analyzes political and legal status, evolution of the organizational structure, main activities, international achievements and miscalculations in the work of the EPC. Positions of Member States of the European Communities on development of their foreign policy and security components have been taken into account.
The conclusions stated that the processes of European integration in the post-war period began precisely from the political sphere. However, due to differences in the strategic views of the states of Western Europe, their unwillingness to surrender state sovereignty in favor of European political institutions, as well as the position of the United States, it very quickly moved into the formation of a purely economic regional association. At the same time, the scale of economic integration and international policy tendencies have led to the formation of the system of political cooperation, which has become commonplace in the work of the Community institutions and the interaction of the Member States. On the whole, the EPC remained a weak and declarative practice of regular inter-state meetings at various levels, because it was outside the system of institutions and the regulatory framework of the European Communities. National ambitions of the Member States, each of which often favored the established priorities of its own foreign policy over the common interests of the union. Achieved level of political unification positions and actions of the Member States of the European Communities did not significantly increase the influence of integration in the international space until the formation of the European Union.
Keywords: foreign policy, European integration, European Communities, EEC, European Political Cooperation, WEU.
Download the Article
- Baranovskii, V.H. (1997). Evropeiskoe soobshchestvo v systeme mezhdunarodnykh otnoshenii [European Community in the System of International Relations]. Moskva: Nauka [in Russian].
- Vidnianskii, S.V., Martynov & A.Yu. (2011). Obiednana Yevropa: vid mrii do realnosti. Istorychni narysy pro batkiv-zasnovnykiv Yevropeiskoho Soiuzu [2-he. vyd., dop. i pererob.] [A United Europe: From Dream to Reality. Historical Essays on the Founding Fathers of the European Union [2nd. ed., ext. and recycling] Kyiv: Kyievo-Mohylianska Akademiia [in Ukrainian].
- Dainen, D. (2006). Dedali mitsnishyi soiuz. Kurs yevropeiskoi intehratsii [An Ever Stronger Union. Course of European Integration] / per. z anhl. Kyiv: K.I.S. [in Ukrainian].
- Dohovor, uchrezhdaiushchii Evropeiskoe oboronitelnoe soobshchestvo, ot 27 maia 1952 h. [Treaty Establishing The European Defense Community, dated 1952, May 27] (2014). Istoryiia evropeiskoi intehratsii. Khrestomatiia. V 3-kh chastiakh. Ch 1. Istoriia Evropeiskikh Soobshchestv / Branitskii, A.H., Leushkin, D.V. – History of European Integration. Reader. In 3 parts. P. 1. History of the European Communities / Branitsky A.G., Leushkin D.V. N. Novhorod: Nyzhehorodskii hosuniversitet, 40–86 [in Russian].
- Zhurkin, V.V. (2014). Voennaia politika Evrosoiuza [European Union Military Policy]. Moskov: Mezhdunar. otnosheniia: Institut Evropy RAN [in Russian].
- Lobanov, R.O. (2005). Problemy vneshnei politiki, bezopasnosti i oborony v deiatelnosti Evropeiskoho soiuza [Problems of Foreign Policy, Security and Defense in the Activities of the European Union]: dis. … kand. ist. nauk: 07.00.03. Moskva [in Russian].
- Martynov, A.Yu. (2009). Spilna zovnishnia ta oboronna polityka Yevropeiskoho Soiuzu (90-ti r.r. XX st. – 10-ti r.r. XXI st.). Pohliad z Ukrainy: monohrafiia [Common Foreign and Defense Policy of the European Union (90-s of XX century – 10-s of XXI century). A View From Ukraine: a Monograph)]. Kyiv: Instytut istorii Ukrainy NAN [in Ukrainian].
- Middelaar, L. (2018). Perekhid do Yevropy: Yak kontynent stav soiuzom [Transition to Europe: How the Continent Became an Union] / per. z anhl. Oleksiia Panycha. Kyiv: Dukh i litera [in Ukrainian].
- Ruda, V. (2017). Poiava ta rozvytok zovnishnopolitychnoho vymiru YeS: domaastrykhtskyi period [Emergence and Development of the Foreign Political Dimension of the EU: PreMaastricht Period]. Yevropeiski istorychni studii – European Historical Studies, 7, 6–16 [in Ukrainian].
- Sypko, B. (2015). “Yevropa yevropeiska” u vizii Sharlia de Hollia (za materialamy fonohram ofitsiinykh vystupiv) [“European Europe” by Charles de Gaulle (Based on Phonograms of Official Statements)]. Yevropeiski istorychni studii – European Historical Studies, 2, 103–117 [in Ukrainian].
- Tikhova, V.V. (2006). Formirovanie Obshchei vneshnei politiki i politiki bezopasnosti Evropeiskoho soiuza (1992–2004 hh.) [Formation of the Common Foreign and Security Policy of the European Union (1992–2004)]: dis. … kand. ist. nauk: 07.00.15. Moskva: MHIMO(U)MID Rossii [in Russian].
- Beloff, M. (1996). Churchill and Europe. Churchill. Oxford: University Press, 443–456 [in English].
- Cameron, F. (2007). An Introduction to European Foreign Policy. London, New York [in English].
- Davignon Report (Luxembourg, 1970, October 27). Bulletin of the European Communities. 1970, November 11. Luxembourg: Office for Official Publications of the European Communities, 9–14 [in English].
- Declaration on European Identity (Copenhagen, 1973, December 14). Bulletin of the European Communities. 1973, December 12, Luxembourg: Office for official publications of the European Communities, 118–122 [in English].
- Discours de Winston Churchill devant le Conseil de lEurope (Strasbourg, 1950, 11 août). Conseil de lEurope-Assemblée consultative. Compterendu. Deuxième session, 1950, 7 au 28 août, Srasbourg: Conseil de lEurope, 1, 121–124 [in French].
- Draft European Act submitted by the Governments of the FRG and Italy (1981, November 6). Bulletin of the European Communities. Draft European Act. Luxembourg: Office for official publications of the European Communities. November 1981, 11, 87–91 [in English].
- EC: Luxembourg European Council (Presidency Conclusions). 1981, Jun 30. Archive (European Union). Margaret Thatcher Foundation. Thatcher Archive. Retrieved from http://www.margaretthatcher.org/document/114105 [in English].
- Healey, D. (1990). The Time of My Life. 2nd edition. London: Penguin [in English].
- Howorth, J. (2007). Security and Defense Policy in the European Union. Basingstoke [in English].
- Interview with Leo Tindemans on the European Union (Hertogenbosch, 1975, September 27). The Centre Virtuel de la Connaissance sur lEurope (CVCE). Innovating European Studies. Retrieved from: http://www.cvce.eu/obj/interview_with_leo_tindemans_on_the_european_ union_s_hertogenbosch_27_ september_1975-en-3c93fc97-f139-43f0-b0db-2ddad83fe8aa.html [in English].
- Loth, W. (2015). Building Europe: A History of European Unification. Duisburg: de Gruyter Oldenbourg [in English].
- Nuttall, S. (1992). European Political Cooperation. Oxford: Clarendon Press [in English].
- Pinder, J. (2009). Federalism and the Beginnings of European Union. A Companion to Europe Since 1945; edited by Klaus Larres. Oxford: Blackwell Publishing Ltd., 25–44 [in English].
- Report from the ad hoc Committee on Institutional Affairs (Brussels, 1985, March 29-30). Bulletin of the European Communities. Luxembourg: Office for official publications of the European Communities, March 1985, 3, 102–110 [in English].
- Single European Act (Luxembourg, 1986, February 17, and The Hague, 1986, February 28). Official Journal of the European Communities (OJEC). 29.06.1987, L 169 [in English].
- Taking Europe to the world – 50 years of the European Commissions External Service. European Commission (2004). Luxembourg: Office for Official Publications of the European Communities [in English].
- The London Report, 1981, October 13. Document 2/11. Report Issued by the Foreign Ministers of the Ten on European Political Co-operation (The London Report), London, 1981, October 13. European Foreign Policy. Key Documents. Ed. by Ch. Hill, K.E. Smith. (2000). London: Routledge, 114–119. [in English].
- Treaty establishing the European Economic Community (Rome, 1957, March 25) (2015). Treaty establishing the European Economic Community and connected documents. Luxembourg, 5–183. [in English].
- Western European Union. Platform on European Security Interests. The Hague, 1987, October 27. Retrieved from http://www.weu.int/documents/871027en.pdf [in English].