PhD, Associate Professor, Bogdan Khmelnitsky Melitopol State Pedagogical University
UDC 94:354 (498) „1919/1920”
The expansionist policy of Romania during the first decades of the XX century was not accidental or spontaneous. It was clearly realized by the leadership of the Kingdom within the state idea of the creation of «Great Romania». In general, the foreign policy of Bucharest during the First World War and the period of the formation of the Versailles system of the international relations were exponential in terms of the defending its own national interests and the conquest the status of the regional leader in the Balkan region. At the end of 1919, the foreign policy situation for Romania continued to stay difficult. It seemed that the combination of the internal and the external conditions had to cross out the ambitious plans of Bucharest. However, the Romanian leadership still managed to get out of the crisis situation. In November 1919, the parliamentary elections took place in the country, which is led to the change of the government. Soon it was headed by A. Vaida-Voevod. Thanks to his efforts and the activities in Paris and London he succeeded to move the «Bessarabian» problem from the place in the direction of the formal recognition of the region by the Romanian territory. The purpose of the article is the analysis of the political struggle around the «Bessarabian» question at the Paris Conference during December 1919 – March 1920. Considering the important value of the material, the short period of the work of the conference in Paris was taken by the author, because the period demonstrates in what the strained atmosphere the new map of the post-war Europe was formed. We must note that A. Vaida-Voevod’s activities in the «Bessarabian» direction had positive results for Romania. On 12 March, the Verkhovna Rada of the Entente sent the decision on the outlined question to the Romanians. It was determined in it that the Allies considered that it was not worth more to leave the unresolved questions of Bessarabia. Taking into account the preliminary conclusions of the commissions and the desires of the people of the region, they spoke out in favor of the joining of the region to Romania. At the same time, the Entente insisted that Bucharest should provide the compliance of the interests of Bessarabia on the same base as in other parts of the Kingdom. In the case of the occurrence they should be decided by the League of Nations.
Paris Peace Conference, «Bessarabian question», the Entente, diplomacy, Verkhovna Rada, A. Vaida-Voevod, Romania.
Download the аrticle
1. Vinogradov, V. N., Ereshhenko, M. D., Semenova L. E., Pokivajlova T. A. (1996). Bessarabiya na perekrestke Evropeyskoy diplomatii. Dokumentyi i materialyi. Moscow: Indrik.
2. Deev, G. (Еd.). (1958). Dokumentyi vneshney politiki USSR (Vols. 1–24). Moscow: Gosudarstvennoe izdatelstvo politicheskoy literaturyi.
3. Snytko, T. (Еd.). (1964). Dokumentyi i materialyi po istorii sovetsko-polskih otnosheniy (Vols. 1–5). Moscow: Nauka.
4. Vinogradov, V. (2002). Za balkanskimi frontami Pervoy mirovoy voynyi. Moscow: Indrik.
5. Potemkin, V. (Ed.). (1945). Istoriya diplomatii (Vols. 1–3). Moscow–Leningrad: Gosudarstvennoe izdatelstvo politicheskoy literaturyi.
6. Levit, I. (2012). Bessarabskiy vopros v kontekste mezhdunarodnyih otnosheniy (1919–1920 gg.). Parizhskaya mirnaya konferentsiya. Tiraspol: Litera.
7. Meltyuhov, M. (2014). Pribaltiyskiy platsdarm (1939–1940): vozvraschenie Sovetskogo Soyuza na berega Baltiyskogo morya. Moscow: Algoritm.
8. Meltyuhov, M. (2001). Sovetsko-polskie voynyi. Voenno-politicheskoe protivostoyanie 1918–1939 gg. Moscow: Veche.
9. Meltyuhov, M. (2017). Sovetsko-polskie konfliktyi. 1918–1939 gg. Moscow: Algoritm.
10. Muntyan, M. (1977). Dunayskaya problema v mezhdunarodnyih otnosheniyah (1945–1948). Chişinău: Ştiinţa.
11. Nazariya, S. (2013). Vopros o Bessarabii v sovetsko-rumyinskih otnosheniyah v nachale 20-h godov i popyitki ego mifologizatsii v rumyinskoy istoriografii. Vestnik Dagestanskogo gosudarstvennogo universiteta, 4, 39–47.
12. Pavlova, M. (2016). Litva v politike Varshavyi i Moskvyi v 1918–1926 godah. Moscow: Aspekt-Press.
13. Madievskiy, S. (Ed.). (1988). Problemyi vnutri- i vneshnepoliticheskoy istorii Rumyinii novogo i noveyshego vremeni. Chişinău: Ştiinţa.
14. Satskiy, P. (2016). Strategichne znachennya ukrayinskih etnichnih teritoriy u protsesi konstelyatsiyi Tsentralnoyi Evropi v 1920-tі rr. Evropeyskі Istorichnі studіyі: naukoviy zhurnal, 3, 113–127. https://eustudies.history.knu.ua/.
15. Tsimmerman, M. (1924). Ocherki novogo mezhdunarodnogo prava. Posobie k lektsiyam. Praga: Plamya.
16. Woodward, E. L., Butler, R. (Ed.). (1948). Documents on British Foreign Policy. 1919–1939 (Vols. I–XXVII). London: His Majesty’s Stationery Office.
17. Marghiloman, A. (1927). Note Politice 1897–1924. (Vols. 1–5). Bucureşti: Editura Institutului de Arte Grafice «EMINESCU», 1927.
18. Mitrasca, M. (2002). Moldova: A Romanian Province under Russian Rule. Diplomatic History From the Archives of the Great Powers. New York, NY: Algors Publishing, 2002.
19. Fuller, J. (Ed.). (1946). Papers Relating to the Foreign Relations of the United States. The Paris Peace Conference. 1919. (Vols. I–XIII). Washington: Government Printing Office.
20. Stafi, I. (2007). Spovedaniile Basarabiei. Chişinău: Bons Offices.
21. Vopicka, Ch. (1921). Secrets of the Balkans. Seven years of a Diplomatist’s Life in the Storm Centre of Europe. Chicago: Rand Mc Nally & Company.
22. Tilea, V. (1925). Acţiunea diplomatică a României. Nov. 1919 – Mart. 1920. Tipografia «Foaia Poporului», Sibiu.
23. Le Temps. (1920, January). Gallica. Retrieved from https://gallica.bnf.fr/.
24. Le Temps. (1920, March). Gallica. Retrieved from https://gallica.bnf.fr/.