Post-graduate student, Taras Shevchenko National University of Kyiv
The article touches upon the participation of Great Britain in the Gulf war of 1990-1991. This war was one of the largest armed conflicts after the Second World War, in which Britain took part. The reaction of London to the actions of the regime of Saddam Hussein has been analyzed. The political and military aspects of the crisis development in Iraq have been outlined. The quick decision-making and activity of the UNO Council during the settlement of the Iraqi crisis have been unfolded. The UN has been adopting 12 resolutions per year in order to put an end to the occupation of Kuwait, to restore international peace and security in the region. The position and approach of the North Atlantic Alliance to resolving the Iraqi crisis has been researched. The importance of NATO diplomatic consultations and the rapid response to the crisis situation on the periphery of the Alliance territory, as well as the cooperation between Britain and its allies, first of all, the United States, have been revealed. The activities of the international coalition, mainly the NATO member states, where the leading place was represented by the British military, have been highlighted. Major military operations, such as Desert Shield, Desert Storm and Grunbi which liberated the Kuwaiti territory from the Iraqi forces have been analyzed.
The United Kingdom, NATO, Persian Gulf, Iraqi War, Kuwait, Saddam Huseyn, military actions, the international coalition.
Download the аrticle
1. PYK, S. M. (2006) SSHA – Velyka Brytaniya: «osoblyvi vidnosyny». Kyiv: Znannya.
2. Organizatsiya Obyedinennykh natsiy. Sovet Bezopasnosti. Rezolyutsii Soveta Bezopasnosti OON 1990 goda (1990) [Online]. Available from: http://www.un.org/ [Accessed: 12th November 2017].
3. Maybutnye NATO yak zahalnoyevropeyskoho instytutu bezpeky (1993) Ukrayinskyy nezalezhnyy tsentr politychnykh doslidzhen [Online]. Available from: http://www.ucipr.kiev.ua [Accessed: 07th April 2013].
4. The North Atlantic Treaty. Washington D. C. – 4 April 1949 (1949) [Online]. NATO – Official text. Available from: http://www.nato.int/ [Accessed: 24th February 2018].
5. KUZNETSOV, D. V. (2006) Irakskiy krizis. Ocherk sobytiy. Dokumenty i materialy: uchebnoye posobiye. Blagoveshchensk: Izdatelstvo BGPU.
6. YAKOVENKO, N. L. (2011) Velyka Brytaniya v mizhnarodnykh orhanizatsiyakh: navchalnyy posibnyk dlya stud. vyshchykh navch. zakladiv. Kyiv: Kyyivskyy universytet.
7. GROMYKO, A. (ed.) (2007) Velikobritaniya: epokha reform. Moskva: Izdatelstvo «Ves mir».
8. Pervaya irakskaya voyna SSHA. Operatsiya «Burya v Pustyne» (2013) [Online]. –Available from: http://100top.ru/ [Accessed: 11th September 2013].
9. The First Gulf War. A short history of the Department of State // U.S. Department of States. Office of the historian. (2013) [Online] Available from: http://history.state.gov/ [Accessed: 07 th September 2013].
10. TAFT, W. H. (1991) European Security: lessons learned from the Gulf War. NATO Review.
11. The London Gazette (1991) (Supplement) no. 52589. 28 June 1991. Despatch by Air Chief Marshal Sir Patrick Hine GCB ADC FRAES CBIM RAF Joint Commander of Operation Granby. P. 37-49.
12. KAPITONOVA, N. K. (1999) Prioritety vneshney politiki Velikobritanii (1990-1997 gg.) Moskva: ROSSPEN.
13. VOLODINA, M. O. (2012) Spivrobitnytstvo SSHA ta Velykoyi Brytaniyi u reformuvanni NATO (90-ti roky XX st. – 2004 r.). Donetsk: Noulidzh, Donetske vydanya.