PhD (history), senior research fellow, Institute of World History, National Academy of Science of Ukraine
The specificy of strategic planning of sustainable development in the European Union has been investigated. The EU strategies of sustainable development, adopted in 2001, 2006 and 2010 and the main difficulties on the way of their implementation have been examined. The sustainable development strategies of the new members of the EU have been analyzed. The author shows thr peculiarities thereof, as well as their main components, implementation structure and system of monitoring and evaluation. The article shows the convergent features and the national specifics of the national strategies. Special attention has been paid to the institutionalization of the sustainable development in the countries abovementioned. It is proven that the adoption of national strategies promotes better coordination of sustainable development through its integration in the horizontal and vertical levels, as well as the activities of different social strata. The basic forms of involving in the development and implementation of the national strategies for sustainable development of a wide range of partners, including civil society and business, have been investigated. It is argued that special attention has been paid to the activities abovementioned. It is concluded that the importance of these strategies lies within improving of the environmental management, achieving economic growth, introducing the high social standards and in solving another principal tasks of the national development. The author proves that the best experience should be introduced as well in Ukraine.
EU, sustainable development, strategies, integration, civil society.
Download the аrticle
1. 2015 monitoring report of the EU Sustainable Development Strategy (2015) Sustainable development in the European Union [Online]. Available from: http://ec.europa.eu/ [Accessed: 03 th April 2017].
2. CAREW-REID J., PRESCOTT-ALLEN R., BASS S., DALAL-CLAYTON, B. (1994). Strategies for national sustainable development: a handbook for their planning and implementation. London: Earthscan, IUCN and IIED. / J. Carew-Reid, R. Prescott-Allen, S. Bass, B. Dalal-Clayton. – London: Earthscan, IUCN and IIED.
3. MEADOWCROFT J. (2007). National Sustainable Development Strategies: Features, Challenges and Reflexivity. European Environment, 17 (3), р. 152–163.
4. STEURER R., MARTINUZZI A. (2005). Toward a New Pattern of Strategy Formation in the Public Sector: First Experiences with National Strategies for Sustainable Development in Europe. Environment and Planning: Government and Policy, 23 (3), р. 455–472.
5. BILORUS, O.H., MATSEJKO, Y.M. (2005). Global perspective and sustainable development. Kyiv: MAUP.
6. SNITKOVA, N.P. (2012) Experience of strategic planning of sustainable development in EU countries. Economy and state, No.11, p.11–14.
7. PERGA T.Y. (2006). Standards of sustainable development. Viche, №. 9–10, р. 47–50.
8. FEDUN Y. (2014). The establishment and implementation of sustainable development in the candidate countries for EU membership. Bulletin of Lviv University, No. 36, p. 71– 80.
9. Communication from the Comission. Sustainable Europe for a Better World: European Union Strategy for Sustainable Development (2001). Comission of the European Communities [Online]. Available from: http://ec.europa.eu/ [Accessed: 03 th April 2017].
10. Communication from Mr. Almula to the Members of the Commission. Sustainable development Indicators to Monitor the Implementation of the European Sustainable development Strategy (2005) [Online]. Available from: http://ec.europa.eu/ [Accessed: 03th April 2017].
11. Review of the EU Sustainable Development Strategy [Online]. Available from: https://www.etuc.org/ [Accessed: 03 th April 2017].
12. EUROPE 2020. A strategy for smart, sustainable and inclusive growth [Online]. Available from: http://ec.europa.eu/ [Accessed: 03 th April 2017].
13. PISANO U., LEPUSCHITZ K., BERGER G. National Sustainable Development Strategies in Europe 2013 [Online]. Available from: http://www.sd-network.eu/ [Accessed: 03 th April 2017].
14. European Sustainable Development Network 2013 [Online]. Available from: http://www.sd-network.eu/ [Accessed: 03 th April 2017].