PhD (History), a Methodist-curator of HEPHCIBA, Department of External Relations and UNESCO, Ministry of Education in Israel, Jerusalem, and the college lecturer teaching “Shaanan” in Haifa
This article analyses the unique features of M. Thatcher’s government approach in the area of national legislation aimed at reduction of colour immigration from former British colonies to the UK in view of the EU general requirements on ‘open-door’ policy development for the member-states. The article also highlights ‘new’ measures taken by the Conservatives especially the deportation and the illegal immigration fight directed towards the protection of the British national priorities in spite of the government’s obligations in the framework of the EU legislation.
Colour immigration, the British Commonwealth of Nations, citizenship, Conservatives, Great Britain, M. Thatcher, the European Union, ‘open-door’ policy, illegal immigration, deportation.
Download the аrticle
1. Bailey S.H. (2005) Cases, Materials and Commentary on Administrative Law. London: Sweet & Maxwell. [in English].
2. Bevan V. (1986) The Development of British Immigration Law. London: Croom Helm. [in English].
3. Cohen R. (2006) Migration and Its Enemies: Global Capital, Migrant Labour and the Nation-state. Aldershot, Hampshire, England: Ashgate. [in English].
4. Conservative Party General Election Manifesto. 1979. [Online]. Avaliable from: http://www.conservative-party.net/
5. Court of Appeal. Khawaja Ex parte R v Secretary of State for the Home Department, Administrative Court 74. 1984. [Online]. Avaliable from: http://law.hku.hk/
6. Court of Appeal. Zamir v Secretary of State for the Home Department, Administrative Court 930. 1980. [Online]. Avaliable from: http://www.unhcr.org/
7. Gordon P. (1985) Policing Immigration. Britain`s Internal Controls. London: Pluto Press. [in English].
8. HMSO, House of Commons: Parliamentary Debates: Official Reports, Session 1979–1980. Vol. 975: Immigration, Series 5. London, 1979. cols. 253–382.
9. HMSO, House of Commons. Parliamentary Debates: Official Reports, Session 1979–1980. Vol. 407: Statement of Changes in Immigration Rules, Series 5. London,1980. cols. 360–431.
10. HMSO, House of Lords: Parliamentary Debates: The Statement of Changes in Immigration Rules, Official Reports, Session 1979–1908. Vol. 407, Series 5. London, 1980. cols. 360–375.
11. HMSO, HO, British Nationality Law. Outline of Proposed Legislation, Cmnd 7987. 1980.
12. HMSO, British Nationality Law. 1981. [Online]. Avaliable from: http://www.legislation.gov.uk/
13. HMSO, HO, Statistical Bulletin. Control of Immigration Statistics. Second Quartet. 1983.
14. HMSO, HO, Statistical Bulletin. Control of Immigration Statistics. Third Quarter. 1983.
15. HMSO, HO, The White Paper on Proposals for Revision of the Immigration Rules, Cmnd. 7750. 1979.
16. The Official Home of UK Legislation, Immigration Act. 1971. [Online]. Avaliable from: http://www.legislation.gov.uk/
17. HMSO, The Official Home of UK Legislation, The Immigration Act. Section 33. 1971. [Online]. Avaliable from: http://www.opsi.gov.uk/
18. HMSO, Immigration Act. 1988. [Online]. Avaliable from: http://www.opsi.gov.uk/
19. HMSO, Social Security Act. 1980. [Online]. Avaliable from: http://www.legislation.gov.uk/
20. Maastricht Statement on Racism and Xenophobia. Session: 1991-92. [Online]. Avaliable from: http://www.parliament.uk/
21. (1978, 27 January) Margaret Thatcher`s TV Interview for Granada World in Action («rather swamped»). [Online]. Avaliable from: http://www.margaretthatcher.org
22. Miles R., Phizacklea A. (1984) White Man’s Country: Racism in British Politic. London: Pluto Press. [in English].
23. Mullen Andrew (2007) The British left: For and against Europe? A Historical Survey. Capital & Class. 31. pp. 217–231. [in English].
24. Nicol A. (1981) Illegal Entrants. London: JWCI and Runnymede Trust. [in English].
25. Papers of Hugo Storey and Usha Prashar to AGIN Conference, Oxford, July 1983. In: Couper K., Santamaria U. (1984) An Elusive Concept: The Charging Definition of Illegal Immigrant in the Practice of Immigration Control in UK. International Migration Review. The Center for Migration Studies of New York, Inc. Special Issue: Irregular Migration: An International Perspective. Vol. 18. No. 3. pp. 437–452. [in English].
26. Satvinder S. Juss. (1993) Immigration, Nationality and Citizenship. London: Mansell. [in English].
27. Skellington R., Morris P. (1996) «Race» in Britain Today. London: Open University. [in English].
28. Smith J. Martin (2015) From Consensus to conflict: Thatcher and the Transformation of Politics. British Politics. 10. pp. 64–78. [in English].
29. (1978) Speech by Enoch Powell to the Coventry Management Club, 18 February 1978. Observer. [Online]. Avaliable from: http://enochpowell.info/
30. Spencer Ian R.G. (1997) British Immigration Policy since 1939. The Making of Multi-Racial Britain. London: Routledge. [in English].
31. Studlar D.T. (1974) Notes and Comments. British Public Opinion, Colour Issues and Enoch Powell: a Longitudinal Analysis. British Journal of Political Sciences. Vol. 4, No. 3. pp. 373–374, 377. [in English].
32. Studlar D.T. (1978) Policy Voting in Britain: The Coloured Immigration Issiue in the 1964, 1966 and 1970 General Elections. The American Political Science Review. Vol. 72, No. 1. March. pp. 44–64. [in English].
33. Thatcher M. (2002) Statecraft: Strategies for a Changing World. New York: Harper Collins. [in English].
34. The National Archive (TNA), Kew, London. CAB 128/81: Conclusions of the Cabinet Meetings. 1985. P. 418.
35. TNA, CAB 128/66/18: Conclusions of Cabinet Meetings. White Paper on the Immigration Rules. 1979.
36. TNA HO 376/205: Andrew Fountaine to Home Secretary. 1976. – 31 January; (1978, 19 February) Speech by Enoch Powell to the Coventry Management Club, 18 February 1978. Observer. [Online]. Avaliable from: http://enochpowell.info/Resources/Jan-April1978.pdf
37. (1987) Treaties Establishing the European Communities. Treaties Amending These Treaties. Single European Act. Resolutions-Declarations. Luxembourg: Office for Official Publications of the European Communities. pp. 228, 1070. [Online]. Avaliable from: http://europa.eu/
38. Treaty Establishing the European Economic Community. Rome, 1957. [Online]. Avaliable from: https://www.google.com.mx/
39. Wall S. (2008) A Stranger in Europe. Britain and the EU from Thatcher to Blair. Oxford: Oxford University Press. [in English].