PhD in History, Associate Professor
Pavlo Tychyna Uman State Pedagogical University, Kyiv, Ukraine
Abstract. The purpose of the article is to explore the process of joining Albania to the European Union in the mainstream of the lands of the Western Balkans became members of the united Europe. The preconditions and development of the process of formation of European integration in the Republic of Albania analyzed. Is undertaken an attempt at the analysis of the real possibilities of Albania to be taken in the European Union and the interest of this integrated association to maintain double-sided cooperation with Albania, in spite of the absence of necessary economic, political and other bases for its adoption in the European Union.
Special attention is given to the domestic and foreign policy developments in the Republic of Albania, which directly influenced Albania’s cooperation with the European Union before and after the beginning of the active euro-integration dialogue. Special emphasis made on an overview of the most important issues and problematic moments on determining the start of the EU accession negotiation process with Albania.
The methodology of the research based on the principles of systemicity, authenticity, historicism, logics. General scientific (analysis, synthesis, generalization) and special-historical (historical-typological, historical-system) methods have been used.
The scientific novelty is that for the first time the European integration of Albania studied separately from other countries of the Western Balkans.
The studies concluded that Albania’s desire to join the European Union linked to its desire to stabilize the country, modernize the domestic political system, improve the economic situation, facilitate the solution of social problems, participate in the mechanism of redistribution of financial resources, to enhance its political status by taking advantage of the benefits of membership in this organization. As for the EU’s position, official Brussels is pursuing a rather restrained and balanced policy of expanding its borders.
Key words: Albania, Western Balkans, European Union, Council of the EU, European integration, negotiation process.
Download full article:
1. Albaniya nablyzylasʹ do vykonannya klyuchovoyi umovy YES dlya pochatku peremovyn pro chlenstvo. (2020). Mode of Access: https://www.eurointegration.com.ua/news/2020/06/6/7110804/ (in Ukrainian).
2. Bulannikova, YU. A. (2010) Protsess integratsii stran Zapadnykh Balkan v Yevrosoyuz (The process of integration of the Western Balkan countries into the European Union). Vestnik MGIMO-Universiteta, 2, 311–318. (in Russian).
3. V Albaniyi vyznachyly datu parlament·sʹkykh vyboriv. (2020). Ukrayinsʹka ra da. Mode of Access: https://www.eurointegration.com.ua/news/2020/09/7/7114041/ (in Ukrainian).
4. Horopakha, S. V. (2018). Intehratsiya Respubliky Khorvatiya v Yevropeysʹkyy Soyuz (1992–2013 rr.). Unpublished thesis (PhD in History), Kyiv: Kyyivsʹkyy natsionalʹnyy universytet imeni Tarasa Shevchenka (in Ukrainian).
5. Hubar, O. (2019). YES ne pohodyv pochatok perehovoriv pro vstup z Albaniyeyu ta Pivnichnoyu Makedoniyeyu (EU does not agree to start accession talks with Albania and Northern Macedonia). DW. Mode of Access: https://www.dw.com/uk (in Ukrainian).
6. Davydchuk, V. H. (2020). Perspektyvy vstupu derzhav Zakhidnykh Balkan do Yevropeysʹkoho Soyuzu (Prospects for the accession of the Western Balkan countries to the European Union). Nauko i zapysky studenti ta aspiranti . Seriya «Mizhnarodni idnosyny», 5, 134–140. (in Ukrainian).
7. YES okreslyv peredumovy dlya pochatku peremovyn z Albaniyeyu shchodo yiyi chlenstva. (2020). UKRINFORM. Mode of Access: https://www.ukrinform.ua/rubric-world/2904974-es-okresliv-peredumovi-dla-pocatku-peremovin-z-albanieu-sodo-ii-clenstva.html (in Ukrainian).
8. YES pidtverdyv perspektyvu Zakhidnykh Balkan, ale ni slova pro terminy perehovoriv. (2020). Ukrayinsʹka pra da. Mode of Access: https://www.eurointegration.com.ua/news/2020/05/7/7109622/ (in Ukrainian).
9. Maksakova, M. A. (2016). Strany Zapadnykh Balkan na puti v Yevropeyskiy Soyuz: problemy i perspektivy (Western Balkan countries on their way to the European Union: problems and prospects). Rossiyskiy vneshneekonomicheskiy vestnik, 11, 42–55. (in Russian).
10. Myronova, M. A. (2010). Evolyutsiya polityky YES shchodo krayin Zakhidnykh Balkan (Evolution of EU policy towards the Western Balkans.). Aktualʹni problemy mizhnarodnykh vidnosyn, 28–37. (in Ukrainian).
11. Pavlyuk, T. (2010). Peredvstupna dopomoha Yevropeysʹkoho Soyuzu dlya Khorvatiyi (European Union pre-accession assistance to Croatia.). Naukovi zapysky [Natsionalʹnoho universytetu “Ostrozʹka akademiya”], 2, 105–118. (in Ukrainian).
12. Stryzhakova, A. YU. (2017). Mekhanizmy derzhavnoho upravlinnya rozvytkom transkordonnoho spi robitnytst a mizh Ukrayinoyu ta krayinamy Ye ropeysʹkoho Soyuzu. Unpublished thesis (PhD), Mariupol (in Ukrainian).
13. U stolytsi Albaniyi demonstranty namahalysya prorvatysya do parlamentu. (2019). DW. Mode of Access: https://www.dw.com/uk/ (in Ukrainian).
14. Cherepanov, S. Pakt Stabilʹnosti dlya Pivdenno-Skhidnoyi Yevropy: uroky rehionalʹnoyi polityky dlya Ukrayiny. Mode of Access: https://pandia.ru/text/79/487/22613.php (in Ukrainian).
15. Chernenko, Ye. F. (2019). Perspektivy vstupleniya Albanii v Yevropeyskiy Soyuz: zhelayemyye i vozmozhnyye (Prospects for Albania’s accession to the European Union: desired and possible). Aktual’nyye problemy sovremennoy nauki i praktiki, 2, 107–115. (in Russian).
16. Chumachenko, O. A. (2010). Polityka rozshyrennya Yevropeysʹkoho Soyuzu v Zakhidnykh Balkanakh: osnovni ryzyky ta shlyakhy yikh podolannya (EU enlargement policy in the Western Balkans: main risks and ways to overcome them). Problemy mizhnarodnykh vidnosyn: Zb. nauk. Pr, 1, 132–146. (in Ukrainian).
17. Ekonomika Albanii, nyneshneye sostoyaniye i prognoz na budushcheye. (2019). MINDINVEST. Delovoy portal. Novosti ekonomiki, biznesa i innovatsiy. Mode of Access: http://mindinvest.ru/ekonomika-albanii-nyneshnee-sostoyanie-i-prognoz-na-budushhee/ (in Russian).
18. Ekonomika Albanii. (2020). TADVISER. Mode of Access: https://www.tadviser.ru/index.php/%D0%A1%D1%82%D0%B0%D1%82%D1%8C%D1%8F:%D0%AD%D0%BA%D0%BE%D0%BD%D0%BE%D0%BC%D0%B8%D0%BA%D0%B0_%D0%90%D0%BB%D0%B1%D0%B0%D0%BD%D0%B8%D0%B8 (in Russian).
19. 2003-rd Council meeting – General Affairs – Luxembourg, 29/30 April 1997. European Commission. Mode of Access: https://ec.europa.eu/commission/presscorner/detail/en/PRES_97_129 (in English).
20. Albania. Membership status. European Neighborhood Policy And Enlargement Negotiations. Mode of Access: https://ec.europa.eu/neighbourhood-enlargement/countries/detailed-country-information/albania_en (in English).
21. EU candidate status for Albania (24/06/2014). Mode of Access: https://web.archive.org/web/20140725052431/http://eeas.europa.eu/delegations/albania/press_corner/all_news/news/2014/20140624_01_en.htm (in English).
22. Interreg III B – CADSES. European Commission. Mode of Access: https://ec.europa.eu/regional_policy/en/atlas/programmes/2000-2006/european/interreg-iii-b-cadses (in English).
23. Report from the Commission to the council and the European Parliament on Albania’s Progress in the Fight Against Corruption and Organized Crime and in the Judicial Reform. (2014). Mode of Access: https://web.archive.org/web/20140808073159/http://ec.europa.eu/enlargement/pdf/key_documents/2014/al_report_june_2014.pdf (in English).
24. Zagreb summit. Final declaration. Mode of Access: https://www.consilium.europa.eu/ueDocs/cms_Data/docs/pressdata/en/er/Declang4.doc.html (in English).
25. Stabilization and association agreement between the European Communities and their member states, of the one part, and the Republic of Albania, of the other part. Mode of Access: https://eeas.europa.eu/sites/eeas/files/st08164.06_en.pdf (in English).
26. Thessaloniki European Council 19 and 20 June 2003 Presidency conclusions. European Commission. Mode of Access: https://ec.europa.eu/commission/presscorner/detail/en/DOC_03_3 (in English).