Post-graduate student Taras Shevchenko National University of Kyiv
UDС 94: 329 (410) Лейб
The article examines the processes of organizational development of the British Labour Party in the early XXth century, the evolution of the party structure and political programme in the twentieths of the XXth century. Special attention is paid to researching the formation of the Social Democratic Federation, Fabian Society and Independent Labour Party till the time of its joining to the Labour Representation Committee in 1900 and adopting the “Labour Party” name in 1906. The author’s aim was to comprehensively investigate the political manifests and activities of those organizations on the way of transformation from separate trade-unions and socialist groups to apparent union of labour, and then to the mass and wide represented parliamentary party. However, the variety of social base of those societies is distinguished, and difference of socialist views and tactics of achieving the final purpose are emphasized. Considerable attention is paid to the system of the individual membership and results thereof in the process of the evolution of the Labour Party’s organization.
The reorganization of the Labour party in 1918, Representation of the People Act, 1918 and the crisis in the Liberal party were favourable for the further evolution of the Labour Party. It is summarized that the social base, the history of party’s birth, the conditions of formation and the party system had influenced the process of the evolution of the ideological and political concepts of Labourizm.
Labour Party, Independent Labour Party, Social Democratic Federation, Fabian Society, Great Britain.
Download the аrticle
1. HOLLAN, D. (1955) Polituchesckaya sistema Velikobritanii. Moskwa: Izdatelstvo Inostrannoy Literaturyi.
2. PELLING, H.A. (1961) A Short History of the Labour Party. London: Macmillan.
3. PEREGUDOV, S.P. (1975) Leyboristskaya partiya v sotsialno-politicheskoy sisteme Velikobritanii. Moskva: Nauka.
4. LAWTON, D. (2005) Education and Labour Party Ideologies 1900-2001 and Beyond. – London – New York, Routledge Falmer.
5. VEBB, S. (1907) Politika Fabiantsev’ i anglIyskIy sotsIalizm. Sotsіalizm’ v’ Anglіi. Sbornik’ statey angliyskih sotsіalistov. 1, p. 52-60.
6. VINOGRADOV, V. N. (1972) Zakat Keyr Gardi i vozvyishenie Ramseya Makdonalda (Iz istorii rannego leyborizma). Novaya i noveyshaya istoriya. 5, p. 87–102.
7. VERTGEYMER, F. (1931) Litso angliyskoy rabochey partii. Moskva – Leningrad: Gosudarstvennoe Sotsialno-Ekonomicheskoe izdatelstvo
8. COOK, C., STEVENSON, J. (2001) The Longman Handbook of Modern British History, 1714-2001. London: Longman
9. MCKENZIE, R.T. (1955) British Political Parties: The Distribution of Power within the Conservative and Labour Parties. Melbourne: William Heinemann Limited.
10. BUTLER, D., BUTLER, G. (1994) British Political Facts, 1900-1994. London: Macmillan.
11. COLE, G.D.H. (1948) A History of the Labour Party from 1914. London: Routledge and Kegan Paul Ltd.
12. KRIVOGUZ, I. M. etal. (1984) Ideologiya mezhdunarodnoy sotsial-demokratii v period mezhdu dvumya mirovyimi voynami. Moskwa: Nauka.