PhD (History), Associate Professor Odessa I.I. Mechnicov National University
The article is devoted to the Cyprus issue in the context of the European integration processes from the Republic’s independence till the accession of Cyprus to the European Union in 2004. Forms and stages of Cyprus` integration policy were revealed in the article. The European integration was the main idea of the Cyprus history in the late 20th century and at the early 21th century. Therefore, the mentioned aspect became the subject of this research. Two lead strategies of the Cyprus policy towards European Communities were identified. The first one was the association within the framework of the customs union as a lead Cyprus policy in 1970-1980th. The second strategy was based on the principles of full membership in the European Union. The latter was occurring in the post Cold war era and had been succeeded in 2004.
The home and foreign problems, formed so called Cyprus question, were characterized in the paper. Ethnic conflict’s consequences, artificial territorial division, unfinished peacekeeping operation were obstructing the European goal of the Cyprus Republic. European Commission considered Cyprus to be adjusted to the European high standards. Due to Greek Cypriot’s hard work for the juridical implementations and social and economic adaptations Cyprus was accepted to the EU. In the 1990s the European Union proposed its own way to maintain the Cyprus problem by proceeding intercommunion negotiations and UN Resolutions. This EU`s activity was failed in many points that was reflected in the paper.
The British, Greek and Turkish opinion about the Cyprus integration was analyzed. The politic reaction of Greece and Turkey was also in the focus of view. An attention was paid to the Turkish community of Cyprus as a separated problem. The change of Turks Cypriots` status during integration policy of Cyprus was a prominent feature in attempting to solve Cyprus dispute. The Cyprus question is affecting the Turkish European policy badly. Therefore, this problem remains actual for the European history.
European Union, Cyprus, integration processes, Turkey, Agenda 2000, 2004 enlargement of the EU.
Download the аrticle
1. Humenyuk B.I. (2004). Kiprs`ke pytannya: shlyax do vyrishennya (problemy ta perspektyvy) Ukrayina dyplomatychna, 4, p. 418-444.
2. Val’, M., Koppiters, B. & Jemerson, M. (2005). Evropeizacija i razreshenie konfliktov: konkretnye issledovanija evropejskoj periferii. M.: Ves` Mir
3. Koval`s`kyj, S.V. (2006). Kiprs`kyj dosvid yevrointehraciyi (1970-1980-ti rr.). Vsesvitnya istoriya ta actual`ni problemy mizhnarodnyx vidnosyn, 2, p. 86-89.
4. Tronina, O.V. (2003). Kiprs`kyj konflikt: istoryko-politolohichnyj analiz. Naukovyj Visnyk Dyplomatychnoyi Akademiyi Ukrayiny, 8, p. 144-151.
5. Yasirova Yu.F. (2017) Partijna systema Respubliky Kipr v umovax yevrointehraciyi. Dysertaciya na zdobuttya stupenya kandydata politychnyx nauk. Mariupol`.
6. Additional Protocol to the Agreement establishing an Association between the European Economic Community and Turkey following the enlargement of the European Union, 30.09.2005 (2005) Official Journal of the European Union. p. 58-68.
7. Agenda 2000. For a Stronger and Wider Union. July 15, 1997. (1997). Bulletin of the European Union. Supplement 5/97. Retrieved from https://ec.europa.eu/.
8. Agreement Establishing an Association between the European Economic Community and the Republic of Cyprus (1993). Retrieved from https://wits.worldbank.org/.
9. Commissioner Günter Verheugen in Cyprus to support UN proximity talks and to praise the country’s progress towards enlargement, Brussels March 22, 2000. IP/00/285 (2000). Retrieved from http://europa.eu/.
10. Cyprus and the EU. The Embassy of the Republic of Cyprus in Rome (2007). Retrieved from http://www.mfa.gov.cy/
11. European Commission, Commission Proposes Comprehensive Measures to end Isolation of the Turkish Cypriot Community, Brussels, July 7, 2004, IP/04/857 (2004) Retrieved from http://europa.eu/
12. Financial and Technical Cooperation with the Europe (2010) Retrieved from www.mfa.gov.cy/
13. Güney, A., Müftüler-Bac, M. (2005) The European Union and the Cyprus Problem 1961-2003. Middle East Studies, 2 (41), p. 281-293.
14. Johnson, R. (2003) British Imperialism. London: Palgrave Macmillan
15. Ker-Lindsay, J. (2007) A Difficult Transition to a New Relationship: Britain and Cyprus in the European Union. Journal of Contemporary European Studies, 2 (15) p. 185-200.
16. Kyris, G. (2012). The European Union and the Cyprus Problem: a story of limited impetus. Eastern Journal of European Studies, 1 (3), p. 87-99.
17. Luxembourg European Council, 12 and 13 December, 1997, Presidency Conclusion. (1997) Retrieved from europa.eu/
18. Martin, N. (2015). Security and the Turkey-EU Accession Process. Norms, Reforms and the Cyprus Issue. London: Palgrave Macmillan.
19. Nugent, N. (2000). EU Enlargement and “the Cyprus Problem”. Journal of Common Market Studies, 1 (38), p. 131-150.
20. Perikleous, K. (2009). The Cyprus Referendum. A Divided Island and the Challenge of the Annan Plan. London: I.B. Tauris.
21. Press Release Regarding the Turkish Views on the EU Membership of Greek Cypriot Administration of Southern Cyprus. November 11, 1998. (1998). Retrieved from http://www.mfa.gov.tr/
22. Recommendation 734 (1974) on the situation in Cyprus and in the Eastern Mediterranean area (1998). In European Stand on the Cyprus Problem. Nicosia
23. Resolution 573 (1974) on the situation in Cyprus and in the Eastern Mediterranean area (1998). In European Stand on the Cyprus Problem. Nicosia
24. Sepos, A. (2008) The Europeanization of Cyprus. Polity, Policies, and Politics. London: Palgrave Macmillan
25. Sjursen, H., Smith, K.E. (2004). Justifying EU Foreign Policy: the Logic Understanding EU Enlargement. In Ben Tonra, Thomas Christiansen (Ed.) Rethinking European Union Foreign Policy. (pp. 126-141). Manchester: Manchester University Press
26. Statement by Enlargement Commissioner Günter Verheugen on Cyprus. Brussels, September 6, 2001. IP/01/1245. (2001). Retrieved from http://europa.eu/
27. Stavridis, S. (1999). Double Standards, Ethics and Democratic Principles in Foreign Policy: The European Union and the Cyprus Problem. In Mediterranean Politics. (pp. 95-112). London
28. Talmon. S. (2001). The Cyprus Question before the European Court of Justice. European Journal of the International Law, 2, p. 727-750.
29. The European Council at Corfu, June 24-25, 1994 (1994) Bulletin of the European Commission, 6, p. 7-20.