Dr. habil. (Philosophy), Professor, Historical-Philosophical Faculty, Kyiv Borys Grinchenko University
UDС: 94 (4): 327.7
Nowadays European Union is facing challenges of immigration, the threat of radicalization, downturns in the fiscal and monetary policies, as well as the discussions on how to build bridges with the UK after Brexit. Such concerns are crucial for understanding the EU’s political and economic landscape, shaping global security issues as well.
The article attempts to analyze the circumstances favoring the implementation of the EU’s Global Strategy that served to be strategic reality-checks upon how to bring stability and security to Europe. It shapes the period from the origins of the European security strategies till the new era of the EU presented by EU Global Strategy in 2016.
The article questions weather the political will is deeply essential for the EU to remain solid tackling economic and political challenges. Therefore, the article is divided in two parts, namely: 1) the evolution of the EU security strategies; 2) the hybrid challenges for Europe shaped by EU Global Strategy.
It is concluded that the EU should perceive the concept of the adaptability as pivotal in order to find credible and fit-for-purpose solutions and create the full-fledged EU Global Strategy. The latter still needs to be adapted to the civilian and integrated capabilities in order to become a real global strategy.
European Union, the EU Global Strategy, hybrid challenges, integration, security.
Download the аrticle
1. EEAS STRATEGIC PLANNING (2003). A Secure Europe in a Better World. Brussels.
2. ALBERTI, F. (2017) Guerra fredda e d’intorni. Verona: QuiEdit.
3. ALIBONI, R., BONVINCINI, G. (2005) La politica estera dell’Italia. L’ltalia e la politica internazionale. Bologna. P.103-125.
4. BARTELS, H.-P., KELLNER, A.M. & OPTENHOGEL, U. (2017) Strategic Autonomy and the Defense of Europe. Bonn: Dietz.
5. BONVINCINI, G., COMELLI, M. (2009). Deepening and Widening in European Foreign and Security Policy. Documenti IAI0924.
6. BONVINCINI, G., REGELSBERGER, E. (1998). Institutional Trends in CFSP/ ESDP in the Wake of the EU’s Constitutional Crisis. Documenti IAI.
7. CARACCIOLO, L. (2011). Terra Incognita. Le radici geopolitiche della crisi italiana. Roma: Laterza.
8. THE GUARDIAN (2016). EU reveals plans for military cooperation following Brexit vote. Available from: https://www.theguardian.com/. [Accessed 15 October, 2017].
9. BONVINCINI, G. (ed.) (2017). EU60: Re-Founding Europe. The Responsibility to Propose. Roma:IAI. (Online) – Available from: http://www.iai.it/ [Accessed 15 October, 2017].
10. FALEG, G. (2017) The EU’s Common Security and Defence Policy: Learning Communities in International Organizations. Palgrave Macmillan.
11. COUNCIL OF THE EUROPEAN UNION (2016). Implementation Plan on Security and Defense within Shared Vision, Common Action: A Stronger Europe A Global Strategy for the European Union’s Foreign And Security Policy. Brussels.
12. MILCZAREK, D., ADAMCZYK & A., ZAJACZKOWSKI (2013). Introduction to European Studies: A New Approach to Uniting Europe. Warsaw: Centre for Europe.
13. EU COUNCIL. (1998). Joint Declaration issued at the British-French Summit in Saint-Malo, France.Available from : https://www.consilium.europa.eu/ [Accessed: 15 October, 2017].
14. LAWRENCE, T., PRAKS, H. & JARVENPAA, P. (2017). Building Capacity for the EU Global Strategy. Policy Paper. June. Tallinn: ICDS.
15. PIROZZI, N., SANDAWI, S. (2009). Military and Civilian ESDP Missions: Ever Growing and Effective?. Documenti IAI. (9/29). Rome: IAI. 23 p.
16. PRODI, R. (2002). Peace, Security And Stability International Dialogue and the Role of the EU Sixth ECSA-World Conference. Speech. No.02/619. Brussels. Available from: http://europa.eu/. [Accessed 15 October, 2017].
17. RAIK, K., JARVENPAA, P. (2017). A New Era of EU-NATO Cooperation: How to Make the Best of Marriage of Necessity. Tallinn: ICDS.
18. COUNCIL OF THE EUROPEAN UNION (2016). Shared Vision, Common Action: A Stronger Europe A Global Strategy for the European Union’s Foreign And Security Policy. Brussels.
19. TOCCI, N. (2017). Framing the EU’s Global Strategy: A Stronger Europe in a Fragile World. Palgrave Macmillan.