Ph.D. (Law), Assistant Professor of Criminal Law Department of the
National University «Odesa Law Academy», Odesa, Ukraine
Abstract. The article deals with the issues of environmental safety and its provision in the context of European integration. It is emphasized that environmental problems do not know borders and are geopolitical in nature.
Failure to comply with environmental safety conditions can have grave consequences, including those that are known to history. Specifically, sustainable development issues related to overcoming the consequences of the 1986 Chernobyl disaster.
The issues of environmental safety, the relationship between the economy, business and the environment, as well as the issue of measures to influence environmental crimes and offenses from various angles have been addressed in the literature. However, the issue of environmental safety in the context of European integration, and in particular in the current conditions of emergency, needs further researching.
It is emphasized that the problem is in particular the interaction of society, the state and human with the environment and ensuring security and harmony in such interaction in the context of European integration.
The purpose of the work is to optimize the legislation in terms of measures to influence offenses against the environment.
A person should take care not only of himself, but also of other people and the environment. It is justified that environmental care should not be guaranteed by the cost of living and human health. Business and financial benefits, power cannot be more important than human life and health, because such activities often lead to environmental pollution.
In today’s context, it is important that human rights do not contradict the idea of social naturalism (O.M. Kostenko). Often, modern human rights violate environmental security. It has been found that it is important to strike a balance between human beings, society, the state and the environment in ensuring human rights.
In addition, it is concluded that a combination of environmental, administrative, criminal and disciplinary responsibility, as well as the application of mediation and other alternative practices aimed at conflict resolve, is important in responding to environmental offenses.
Keywords: environment, European integration processes, safety and human rights, responsibility, European Court of Human Rights practice.
- Babich, A. (2019). Praktyka Yevropeyskoho sudu z prav lyudyny u sferi zabezpechennya ekolohichnykh prav hromadyan. Pidpryyemstvo, hospodarstvo i pravo. 11, 161–165 [In Ukranian].
- Hrymkovska proty Ukrayiny (2011): rishennya Yevropeyskoho sudu z prav lyudyny, 21 lypnya 2011, zayava 38182/03. Retrieved from https://zakon.rada.gov.ua/ laws/show/974_729 [In Ukranian].
- Dyrektyva Yevropeyskoho Parlamentu ta Rady shchodo kryminalno-pravovoyi okhorony navkolyshnʹoho seredovyshcha (2008) 2008/99 / YEC 19 lystopada 2008. Retrieved from https://zakon.rada.gov.ua/laws/show/994_a63 [In Ukranian].
- Dubetska ta inshi proty Ukrayiny (2011): rishennya Yevropeyskoho sudu z prav lyudyny, 10 lyutoho 2011, zayava 30499/03. Retrieved from https://zakon.rada.gov.ua/ laws/show/974_689 [In Ukranian].
- Ekolohichna bezpeka ta ekonomika (2020): monohrafiya / M.I. Sokur, V.M. Shmandiy, YE.K. Babets, V.S. Biletskyy, I.YE. Melnikova, O.V. Kharlamova, L.S. Sheludchenko. Kremenchuk: PP Shcherbatykh O.V.[In Ukranian].
- Moreno Homez proty Ispaniyi (2004): rishennya Yevropeyskoho sudu z prav lyudyny, 16 hrudnya 2004. Retrieved from https:// zakon.rada.gov.ua/laws/show/980_232 [In Ukranian].
- Orzykh, M.F (1997). Konstytutsyonnoe polozhenye cheloveka v hosudarstve y obshchestve Ukrayny. Yurydycheskyy vestnyk: nauchno-publytsystycheskyy zhurnal. 2, 60–62[In Russian].
- Pro okhoronu navkolyshnʹoho pryrodnoho seredovyshcha: Zakon Ukrayiny 1264-XII, 25 chervnya 1991, https://zakon.rada.gov.ua/laws/show/1264-12[In Ukranian].
- Pro Tsili staloho rozvytku Ukrayiny na period do 2030 roku (2019): Ukaz Prezydenta Ukrayiny 722/2019, 30 veresnya 2019. Retrieved from https://www.president.gov.ua/documents/7222019-29825[In Ukranian].
- Trykhlib, K.O. (2014). Harmonizatsiia zakonodavstva Ukrainy i zakonodavstva YeS: nablyzhennia zahalnopravovoi terminolohii. Extended abstract of candidate’s thesis. Kharkiv: NLU. Y. the Wise[In Ukranian].
- Tulyakov, V.O. (2009). Aproksymatsiya u kryminalnomu zakonodavstvi. Aktualni problemy derzhavy i prava. 47, 7–11[In Ukranian].
- Khatton ta inshi proty Spoluchenoho Korolivstva (2003): rishennya Yevropeysʹkoho sudu z prav lyudyny, 08 lypnya 2003. Retrieved from https://zakon.rada.gov.ua/laws/ show/980_105[In Ukranian].
- Address of his holiness Pope Francis to participants at the World Congress of the International Assotiation of Penal Law. (2019). Sala Regia, 15 November, Retrieved from http://www.siracusainstitute.org/app/wp-content/uploads/2019/11/ADDRESS-OF-HIS-HOLINESS-POPE-FRANCIS.pdf.
- Timofeyeva, L.Yu. (2019). European integration Criminal Law policy and achievement freedom and security: collective monograph. // Law and Border: Implementation of law policy in the sphere of state border security. Lviv-Toruń : Liha-Pres, 50-67.