Pavlo Tychyna Uman State Pedagogical University, Uman, Ukraine
Abstract. To date, the issue of Moldova’s accession to the EU remains unexplored. From year to year, from one president to another, Moldovans go in the direction of Europe, then Russia. At the same time, life in the country takes its turn, and eventually the people begin to understand that the path to prosperity is in the direction of Europe. That is why, on the example of Moldova, there is an opportunity to show how the country is fighting for a better life in the EU.
The aim of the article is to analyze the solution of foreign and domestic (territorial) problems of the Republic of Moldova in the context of cooperation with the European Union.
The main task of this article is to study the current state of cooperation between the Republic of Moldova and the European Union; in determining the level of EU interest in the new partner.
The article examines the current state of the European integration course of the Republic of Moldova (from the time of independence in 1991 to the end of 2021) and its path to the European Union. The dynamics of Moldova’s foreign relations with the EU is traced. The key problems that prevent members from joining the ranks are described. The article separately analyzes the political and legal process within the country and the factors that affect its current pro-European orientation. The positions of two political parties within the country (pro-European and pro-Russian) are taken into account. Moldova’s achievements on the path to the EU are highlighted.
Another issue remains: the joint international coercion to curb the imperial ambitions of the Russian Federation, which will help stabilize and accelerate social development in Moldova, will push the current leadership of Transnistria to return to the political, legal and economic space of the country.
Thus, it was concluded that in political terms the Republic of Moldova has set a course for European integration. After the victory of the pro-European camp led by Maia Sandu, Moldovans set course for Europe for the first time in recent years. The President assured the leaders of the European Commission that despite all the problems, she will be able to keep the country on the path to the EU. The main obstacle remains the Transnistrian conflict between the Republic of Moldova and the pro-Russian self-proclaimed Transnistrian Moldovan Republic.
Keywords: Moldova, Transnistria, European Union, geopolitics, separatism, European integration, Eastern Partnership.
1. Antoniuk, N. (2015). Heopolitychni determinanty yevrointehratsiinoi polityky respubliky Moldova. Hrani, 6 (122), 157–163.
2. Bakanova, A. (2015). Osoblyvosti mizhnarodnoho stanovyshcha Moldovy na suchasnomu etapi. Aktualni problemy polityky, 55, 89–97.
3. Henzel, P. (2020). Mriia pro Yevropu. Shans na novyi rozdil v istorii Moldovy. Zaxid.net, Nowa Europa Wschodnia. Retrieved from https://zaxid.net/mriya_pro_yevropu_n1512304
4. Snihyr, O. (2011). Initsiatyva EU`s «Skhidne Partnerstvo»: Perspektyvy efektyvnoi realizatsii ta mozhlyvosti dlia Ukrainy. Kyyiv: Natsionalnyi instytut stratehichnykh doslidzhen.
5. Kliuchovi 10 dosiahnen Skhidnoho partnerstva: ukrainskyi vymir / Kerivnyi komitet ta Sekretariat Ukrainskoi natsionalnoi platformy Forumu hromadianskoho suspilstva Skhidnoho partnerstva. Retrieved from https://www.civic-synergy.org.ua/wp-content/uploads/2018/04/10-klyuchovyh-dosyagnen ShP_ukrayinskyj-vymir.pdf
6. Rudik, N. (2016). Uhody pro asotsiatsiiu mizh EU`s ta Ukrainoiu, Hruziieiu ta Moldovoiu: spilni rysy ta vidminnosti. Publichne administruvannia: teoriia ta praktyka. 2(16). Retrieved from http://nbuv.gov.ua/UJRN/Patp_2016_2_8
7. Starodub, T. (2010). Stratehiia Yevropeiskoho Soiuzu shchodo rozshyrenoho Chornomorskoho rehionu: mozhlyvosti dlia Ukrainy. Kyyiv: Friedrich Ebert Stiftung.