Sc. D. (History), Associate Professor of Department of Modern and Contemporary History of Foreign Countries historical faculty Kyiv National Taras Shevchenko University
UDС 94:329.7 (477) “1917/1918”
The paper studies Antanta nations’ negotiations with Ukrainian national government in November 1917 – January 1918, which revealed their interests towards Ukrainian People’s Republic (UPR) and their attitude to Ukraine’s statehood. It also draws an analogy between that time developments and 2014-2015 “Ukrainian Crisis”. It argues that allies’ interests to Ukraine were driven exclusively by their military aims – their needs to avoid the Russian front elimination, to help Rumania and to hold the Central Powers’ blockade. However the allies underestimated UPR’s interests, the threat from a new Russian government, and the role of Ukraine in its containment. Finally that caused long-term negative consequences for the Western democracies.
Negotiations, Antanta, Ukrainian People’s Republic, Central Rada.
Download the аrticle
- Horodnia N.D. (1996) Polityka derzhav Antanty i SShA shchodo derzhavnosti Ukrainy u 1917-1919 rr. (Candidate’s thesis). Kyiv: Taras Shevchenko’s National university of Kyiv. [in Ukrainian].
- Vynnychenko V. (1920) Vidrodzhennia natsii. In 3 parts. Part 2. Kyiv-Viden. [in Ukrainian].
- Tsentralnyi derzhavnyi arkhiv vyshchykh orhaniv vlady ta upravlinnia Ukrainy (TsDAVO). Found 2592. Opys 1 Sprava 2.
- Khrystiuk P. (1921) Zamitky i materialy do istorii ukrainskoi revoliutsii, 1917-1920. In 2 volumes. Vol. 2. Viden. [in Ukrainian].
- Shulhyn O. (1918) Polityka (Derzhavne budivnytstvo i mizhnarodni spravy). Kyiv. [in Ukrainian].
- (1931) Papers Relating to the Foreign Relations of the United States, 1918. Russia (In 3 vol.). Vol. 1. Washington: Government Printing Office. [in English].
- Masarik T.G. (1927) Mirovaja revoljucija. Vospominanija. In 2 parts. Part 2. Praga. [in Russian].
- TsDAVO Ukrainy. Found. 2592. Opys 3. Sprava 3.
- (1917) Nova Rada. No. 217. [in Ukrainian].
- Noulens G. (1939) Mon Ambassade en Russie Sovietique: In 2 vol. Vol. 1. Paris. [in French].
- (1940) Papers Relating to the Foreign Relations of the United States. The Lansing papers (1914-1920). Vol. 2. Washington: Government Printing Office. [in English].
- Chernin O. (1921) Brest-Litovsk. Arhiv russkoj revoljucii. Vol. 2. Berlin, pp. 108-134. [in Russian].
- General Mordacq. (1931) The Ministere Clemanceau. Journal d’un Temoin. In 3 volumes. Vol. 1. Paris. [in French].