Ph.D. (History), Associate Professor,
Taras Shevchenko National University of Kyiv, Kyiv, Ukraine
Taras Shevchenko National University of Kyiv, Kyiv, Ukraine
Abstract. The article analyzes the evolution of relationships between the United Kingdom and Spain in the context of the question about Gibraltar from 1873 to 1969. That is the period between Aliens’ Order in council adoption and land border closing by Spanish. The scientific novelty of the research lies in distinguishing the period of the question about Gibraltar transformation in the historical context of the relationships between the United Kingdom and Spain, its periodization, determining British and Spanish contribution to overcome the question and finding out of its influence on present day situation. The problem’s political content and the long interaction period between the two states, which was and is aimed at solving this issue, allow us to trace various critical processes that accompanied these relations. In the end of XVIII century, Spain gave up trying to return Gibraltar by military solution and Spanish society accepted its loss. Geopolitical changes in Europe promoted the rapprochement of the United Kingdom and Spain and different contacts between their citizens in the first half of XIX century. But, in a result of Gibraltarians natiogenesis process and building a naval base in the colony – the United Kingdom started to limit Spanish-Gibraltarians civil rights. And not everyone was ready to revise their positions, many people had a historical memory of the interrelationships and rivalry between the states, to which economic factors were added, namely the powerful lag in development between Great Britain and Spain. This led to deterioration of the relationships between the United Kingdom and Spain, plenty diplomatic scandals and predicted emergencies the inquiries about returning Gibraltar peninsular back to Spain. Spain draw closer to British rivals, declared the claims on Gibraltar, raised the issue in international level, made the economic blockade and the land border closing. By the way, the United Kingdom made some concessions but could not leave Gibraltar because of its strategical status and national prestige. Value principles of the relationships between the United Kingdom and Spain are using today in the context of question about Gibraltar.
Keywords: Spain, Great Britain, Gibraltar, international relations, «Gibraltar question».
- Blazhiyevska, R.O. (2014). Problema Gibraltaru v ispanobritanskih vidnosinah ta shlyahi jiji vreguljuvannya. Philisofia i politilogia v konteksti suchasnoji kulturi, 8, 163–167 [in Ukrainian].
- Kuznecova, M.V. (2011). Gibraltar v ispanobritanskih otnosheniyah: istoriya voprosa. Vestnik MGIMO Universiteta, 3, 295–300 [in Russian].
- Lesiva,O. (2011). Problema Gibraltaru v konteksti vidnosyn Velykoji Brytaniji ta Ispaniji (1960–2010 rr.) Nauka. Religija. Suspilstvo, 4, 47–50 [in Ukrainian].
- Lukyanov, O.P. (2003). Problema Gibraltaru v zovnishnij polititsi Ispaniji 1963-1985 rr. [Avtoref. dys. … kand. іstor. nauk]. Lugansk [in Ukrainian].
- Esono, A.V.(2021). Gibraltar i slozhenie populyarnogo obraza Ispanii v XIX veke. Novoe iskusstvoznanie, 1, 40–46 [in Russian].
- Alberca, J.P. (2016). Gibraltar and the Spanish Civil War 1936–39: local, national and international perspectives. London: Bloomsburry Academic [in English].
- Barlett, C.J. (1994). After Palmerston: Britain and the Iberian Peninsula 1865–76. English Historical Review, 109 (430), 74–88 [in English].
- Castiella, F.M. (1968). Negotiations on Gibraltar: Documents presented to the Spanish Cortes. Madrid: Ministry of foreign affairs [in English].
- Clowes, W.L. (1898). The royal navy, a history from the earliest times to the present. London: S. Low, Marston [in English].
- Coffey, L. (2014). Self-determination and national security: why the US should back British sovereignty over Gibraltar. The Heritage Foundation. Retrieved from: https://heritage.org/global-politics/report/self-determination-and-national-security-why-the-us-should-back-british [in English].
- Ford, R. (1855). The Landsbook for travellers in Spain. London: J. Murray [in English].
- Gold, P. (2005). Gibraltar: British or Spanish? (Routledge Advances in European Politics) London: Routledge [in English].
- Grocott, C., & Stockey, G. (2012). Gibraltar: A Modern History. Cardiff: University of Wales Press. [in English]
- Jackson W. G. F. (1987). The rock of the Gibraltarians: a history of Gibraltar. Cranbury: Associated University Press [in English].
- Krammer, J. (1986). English and Spanish in Gibraltar. Hamburg: H. Buske [in English].
- Marc, A. (2008). Gibraltar: Conquered by no enemy. Stroud: History Press. [in English]
- Marquina, A. (1998). The Spanish neutrality during the Second World War. American University International Law Review 14, 1, 171–184 [in English].
- 727 Proposal by the United States Delegation. Foreign relations of the United States: diplomatic papers, The conference of Berlin (The Potsdam conference), 1945. Retrieved from: https://history.state.gov/historicaldocuments/frus1945Berlinv02/d727 [in English].
- Pack, S.D. (2019). The deepest border: the strait of Gibraltar and the making of the Hispano-African border. Standford: Standford University press [in English].
- Peralta, G. (2022). Queen’s 1954 visit to Gibraltar remembered. Gibraltar Chronicle. Retrieved from: https://chronicle.gi/queens-1954-visit-to-gibraltar-remembered/ [in English].
- Primo de Rivera, (1917). Gibraltar y Africa: la cuestion del dia: discurso del General Primo de Rivera: una carta intima, un prologo, dos appendices. Cadiz: imp. M. de Alvarez [in Spanish].
- Rosas-Ledezma, E. (1980). Las relaciones hispano-britanicas a comienzos del siglo XX: los caminos del entendimiento. Cuadernos de Historia Moderna y Contemporanea. Revista de Estudios Internacionales, 1, 703–724 [in Spanish].
- Sharman, N. (2021). Britain’s informal empire in Spain 1830–1950. Free trade, protectionism and military power. London: Palgrave Macmillan [in English].
- General Assembly (22nd sess: 1967–1968) resolution 2353. Question of Gibraltar. Retrieved from: https://digitallibrary.un.org/record/202992?In=ru [in Russian].