Ph. D. (History), Associate Professor,
Pavlo Tychyna Uman State Pedagogical University, Uman, Ukraine
Abstract. The article highlights the reasons for the conflict between Armenia and Azerbaijan over the Nagorno-Karabakh region. The position of the European Union regarding this conflict is analyzed. It has been found that since the beginning of the conflict, the European Union has not actively participated in its settlement and its policy has been weak. The EU has often expressed its support for the negotiation process under the auspices of the OSCE Minsk Group. The change in the attitude of the EU to this conflict after the introduction of the Eastern Partnership program, which included both Armenia and Azerbaijan, is characterized.
An assessment of the consideration of the Armenian-Azerbaijani conflict at the Eastern Partnership summits is given, namely, at the Eastern Partnership Summit in 2021, the EU’s attitude to the Armenian-Azerbaijani conflict is changing, the EU’s participation in the peaceful settlement of the conflict is increasing.
The importance of the created initiative «European Political Community» in the negotiation process regarding the settlement of this conflict was considered.
In the course of the study, it was concluded that from 2021, the European Union will become an active participant in the negotiation process regarding the settlement of the Armenian-Azerbaijani conflict. After Russia’s full-scale invasion of Ukraine, the EU is further strengthening its mediation in the negotiation process. At the current stage, three rounds of negotiations between the parties to the conflict took place with the mediation of the EU, thus, the European Union is trying to reduce the influence of Russia in the (not) settlement of the conflict. In turn, from 2022, Armenia is also interested in greater influence of the EU in the negotiation process and at her request; the civilian mission of the European Union in Armenia – EUMA Armenia – was created. Through its presence, EUMA Armenia contributes to the security of people in conflict-affected areas of Armenia and makes an impact on the strengthening of trust on the ground. The country also contributes to the creation of an environment favorable to the normalization of relations between Armenia and Azerbaijan with EU support.
Key words: European Union, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Armenian-Azerbaijani conflict, Nagorno-Karabakh region.
- Vartanyan, O. (2023). YES posylyuye svoyu rolʹ poserednyka mizh Virmeniyeyu ta Azerbaydzhanom. Retrieved from: https://www.ipg-journal.io/ua/rubriki/zovnishnja-politika-ta-bezpeka/jes-posiljuje-svoju-rol-poserednika-mizh-virmenijeju-ta-azerbaidzhanom-1675/ [in Ukrainian].
- YES zaklykaye do myrnoho vrehulyuvannya u Karabakhu ta vyvedennya z rehionu inozemnykh boyovykiv. (2020). UKRINFORM. Retrieved from: https://www.ukrinform.ua/rubric-world/3139443-es-zaklikae-do-mirnogo-vreguluvanna-u-karabahu-ta-vivedenna-z-regionu-inozemnih-bojovikiv.html [in Ukrainian].
- YES ta konflikty na terytoriyi Skhidnoho partnerstva uroky dlya Ukrayiny. Analitychna zapyska. (2020). Ukrainian Prism. Foreign Policy Council. Retrieved from: http://prismua.org.tilda.ws/eapconflicts#rec251214479 [in Ukrainian].
- Zlobina, T.M. (2016). Rolʹ Rosiysʹkoyi Federatsiyi u nahirno-karabakhsʹkomu konflikti. International relations, part «political sciences». Retrieved from: http://journals.iir.kiev.ua/index.php/pol_n/article/view/2939 [in Ukrainian].
- Niftaliyev, I. (2021). Poetapnaya istoriya nagorno-karabakhskogo konflikta: ot «goryachey fazy» do polnoy pobedy Azerbaydzhana. Retrieved from: https://stem-lab.az/article/poetapnaya-istoriya-naqornokarabaxskoqo-konflikta-ot-qoryachei-fazy-do-polnoi-pobedy-azerbaidzhana–85 [in Russian].
- Perepelytsya, H. M. (2003). Konflikty v postkomunistychniy Yevropi. Kyyiv: PTS «Foliant». [in Ukrainian].
- Skrypnyk, O. (2022). Uchastʹ Yevropeysʹkoho Soyuzu u vrehulyuvanni konfliktiv na terytoriyi krayin Skhidnoho partnerstva. Pivdennyy arkhiv (istorychni nauky), 39, 27–34. [in Ukrainian].
- Sheyko, YU. (2021). Skhidne partnerstvo – kurs na bezpeku y vyrishennya konfliktiv. DW. Retrieved from: https://www.dw.com/uk/skhidne-partnerstvo-bere-kurs-na-bezpeku-ta-vyrishennia-konfliktiv/a-60144662 [in Ukrainian].
- Caprile, A., & Przetacznik, J. (2023). Armenia and Azerbaijan: between war and peace. European Parliamentary Research Service. Retrieved from: https://www.europarl.europa.eu/RegData/etudes/BRIE/2023/747919/EPRS_BRI(2023)747919_EN.pdf [in English].
- Eastern Partnership: November 2017 Summit. (2017). Official Journal of the European Union. Retrieved from: https://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/EN/TXT/?uri=CELEX%3A52017IP0440 [in English].
- EU Mission in Armenia. European Union Mission in Armenia. Retrieved from: https://www.eeas.europa.eu/euma/about-european-union-mission-armenia_en?s=410283 [in English].
- Fults, А., & Stronski, Р. (2022). The Ukraine War is Reshaping the Armenia-Azerbaijan Conflict. Carnegie Endowment for International Peace. Retrieved from: https://carnegieendowment.org/2022/04/25/ukraine-war-is-reshaping-armeniaazerbaijan-conflict-pub-86994 [in English].
- Joint Declaration of the Eastern Partnership summit. (2015). Council of the EU. Retrieved from: https://www.consilium.europa.eu/en/meetings/international-summit/2015/05/21-22/ [in English].
- Joint Declaration of the Eastern Partnership Summit. (2013). Council of the EU. Retrieved from: https://www.consilium.europa.eu/media/31799/2013_eap-11-28-joint-declaration.pdf [in English].
- Meeting of the European Political Community. (2022). European Council & Council of the European Union. Retrieved from: https://www.consilium.europa.eu/en/meetings/international-summit/2022/10/06/ [in English].
- Nagorno-Karabakh: Declaration by the High Representative on behalf of the European Union. (2020). Council of the EU. Press release. Retrieved from: https://www.consilium.europa.eu/en/press/ [in English].
- Nagorno-Karabakh: EU allocates additional €3 million in humanitarian aid for conflict-affected civilians. (2021). European Commission – Press release. Retrieved from: https://ec.europa.eu/commission/presscorner/detail/it/ip_21_665 [in English].
- Press statement by President Michel of the European Council following a trilateral meeting with President Aliyev of Azerbaijan and Prime Minister Pashinyan of Armenia. (2022). European Council. Retrieved from: http://surl.li/cbimw [in English].
- The European Political Community is built for challenging times. (2022). Financial Times. Retrieved from: https://www.ft.com/content/99676d2b-15dd-41b2-85e4-b8ce3ea00e28 [in English].