Ph. D. (History), Associate Professor,
The State Institution «Institute of World History of the National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine», Kyiv, Ukraine
Abstract. The article examines Ukraine’s Answers to the EU Questionnaire on the Application for Membership in the Chapter Foreign Security and Defense Policy and the European Commission’s Opinion on Ukraine’s application for membership in the European Union.
It was found that to understand all the obligations arising for Ukraine in the field of the Common Foreign and Security Policy of the EU, knowledge of the documents defining this policy is necessary, in particular the Treaty on European Union, Global Strategy for the European Union’s Foreign and Security Policy 2016, as well as the Strategic Compass for Security and Defence of 2022. In the context of Russia’s war against Ukraine, sanctions policy is gaining particular importance. In this context, it is underway to update sanctions legislation to bring it closer to EU practices.
Additional work is needed on preventing and combatting illicit trafficking in weapons, ammunition, and explosives. The ratification of the Rome Statute of the International Criminal Court and its related instruments remains an outstanding issue. These issues require increased attention because they will be directly considered during negotiations on Ukraine’s membership in the EU.
It is proposed to analyze the new Permanent Structured Cooperation (PESCO) projects, which were established in 2023, and primarily take into account the experience of the war that Russia is waging against Ukraine. Joining the PESCO projects will contribute to the interoperability of the Ukrainian defense forces with similar structures of the EU member states and increase the defense capability of Ukraine. It is proposed to increase the awareness of the citizens of Ukraine regarding the goals and tasks of the European Union in the foreign policy arena, in particular by expanding the study of the problems of the Common Foreign and Security Policy of the EU in higher education institutions of Ukraine.
Key words: Ukraine, European Union, candidate for accession to the EU, European Commission, Common Foreign and Security Policy.
- Aleksandrov O. (2022). Rozvytok spil”noyi zovnishn”oyi ta bezpekovoyi polityky Yevropejs”koho Soyuzu. Perspektyvy dlya Ukrayiny. Retrieved from: https://niss.gov.ua/sites/default/files/2017-08/Aleksandrov-91492.pdf [In Ukrainian].
- Dorosh, L., & Romanyk, V. (2020). PESCO, CARD, EDF: Strategy, Analysis, and Financing in the European Union Security Guarantee. Humanitarian Vision, 6(2), 1–7. https://doi.org/10.23939/shv2020.02.001 [In Ukrainian].
- Yevrosoyuz peredav Kyyevu opytuval”nyk dlya otrymannya statusu kandydata. (2022). Retrieved from: https://www.eurointegration.com.ua/news/2022/04/8/7137497/. [In Ukrainian].
- Martynov, A. (2018). The Defense Policy of the European Union on the Modern Stage. European Historical Studies, 10 [In Ukrainian]. http://doi.org/10.17721/2524-048X.2018.10.8-28.
- Solovykh, V., & Moskalenko, O. (2019). The Common Foreign and Security Policy at the Contemporary Stage of the Evolution of the European Union. Actual problems of public administration, 78(2), 72–77 [In Ukrainian].
- Analytical Report following the Communication from the Commission to the European Parliament, the European Council and the Council. Commission Opinion on Ukraine’s application for membership of the European Union. (2023). Retrieved from: https://neighbourhood-enlargement.ec.europa.eu/system/files/2023-02/SWD_2023_30_Ukraine.pdf [In English].
- Association Agreement between the European Union and its Member States, of the one part, and Ukraine, of the other part. (2023). Retrieved from: https://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/EN/TXT/PDF/?uri=CELEX:22014A0529(01) [In English].
- Besch, S. (2022). EU Defense and the War in Ukraine. Retrieved from: https://carnegieendowment.org/2022/12/21/eu-defense-and-war-in-ukraine-pub-88680 [In English].
- Consolidated Version of the Treaty on European Union. (2012). Retrieved from: https://eur-lex.europa.eu/resource.html?uri=cellar:2bf140bf-a3f8-4ab2-b506-fd71826e6da6.0023.02/DOC_1&format=PDF [In English].
- Council conclusions on the global strategy on the EU’s foreign and security policy. (2016). Retrieved from: https://data.consilium.europa.eu/doc/document/ST-13202-2016-INIT/en/pdf [In English].
- EU Commission’s Recommendations for Ukraine’s EU candidate status. (2022). Retrieved from: https://niss.gov.ua/sites/default/files/2017-08/Aleksandrov-91492.pdf [In English].
- EU defence cooperation: Council welcomes Denmark into PESCO and launches the 5th wave of new PESCO projects. (2023). Retrieved from: https://www.consilium.europa.eu/en/press/press-releases/2023/05/23/eu-defence-cooperation-council-welcomes-denmark-into-pesco-and-launches-the-5th-wave-of-new-pesco-projects/#new_tab [In English].
- Global Strategy for the European Union’s Foreign and Security Policy. (2016). Retrieved from: https://www.eeas.europa.eu/eeas/global-strategy-european-unions-foreign-and-security-policy_en [In English].
- Lymar, M., Ahieieva, V. (2020). The European Defence Policy and Transatlantic Cooperation in Times of Obama and Trump Administrations. European Historical Studies, 16. [In English]. https://doi.org/10.17721/2524-048X.2020.16.1.
- Maurer, H., Whitman, R. G., & Wright, N. (2023). The EU and the invasion of Ukraine: a collective responsibility to act? International Affairs, 99(1), 219–238. [In English]. https://doi.org/10.1093/ia/iiac262.
- Simón, L. (2023). The Ukraine War and the Future of the European Union’s Security and Defense Policy. Retrieved from: https://www.csis.org/analysis/ukraine-war-and-future-european-unions-security-and-defense-policy [In English].
- Strategic Compass for Security and Defence. (2016). Retrieved from: https://www.eeas.europa.eu/eeas/strategic-compass-security-and-defence-1_en [In English].
- Ukraine’s Answers to the EU Questionnaire on the Application for Membership. Part II. Volume VII. Chapters XXX-XXXIII. (2022). Retrieved from: https://eu-ua.kmu.gov.ua/sites/default/files/inline/files/vol_7._ch.xxx-xxxiii.pdf [In English].
- Volodymyr Zelenskyy signed an application for Ukraine’s membership in the European Union. (2022). Retrieved from: https://www.president.gov.ua/en/news/volodimir-zelenskij-pidpisav-zayavku-na-chlenstvo-ukrayini-u-73249 [In English].