Postgraduate student of Department of Modern and Contemporary History of Foreign Countries, historical faculty, Kyiv National Taras Shevchenko University
This article analyzes the US role in the Commission on Security and Cooperation (CSCE) in Europe and how its foreign policy strategy promoted human rights in the Soviet Union. It will pay particular attention to how human rights promotion fit into a larger approach to transforming Superpower relations. This article focuses also on the U.S. delegation to the Madrid Meeting of CSCE and credits the success of the Helsinki Accord to U.S. adroit negotiation strategies. US had every intention of making the issue of human rights an important element of Cold War competition with Soviet Union.
Human rights, Commission on Security and Cooperation (CSCE) in Europe, The Belgrade Meeting (1977 -78), The Madrid Meeting (1980 – 83), The Helsinki process, US-Soviet relations, US Foreign Policy 1970 – 80, Cold War.
Download the аrticle
- U.S. Congress House Committee on Foreign Affairs. Subcommittee on International Organizations and Movement. 1975.
- Korey W. (1993) The Promises We Keep: Human Rights, the Helsinki Process, and American Foreign Policy. New York: St. Martin’s Press. [in English].
- Human rights strategy for Belgrade a formal statement of US policy at the meeting: «Belgrade Objectives» an informal summary of key questions and US policy at the meeting [Online]. Avaliable from: http://www.memo.ru/. [in English].
- Goldberg A.J. Ambassador-at-large. Interim report on the Belgrade conference, addressed to the President [Online]. Avaliable from: http://www.memo.ru/. [in English].
- Kampelman M. (1986) Reflection on the Madrid CSCE Review Conference. A Game For High Stakes. Lessons learned in negotiating with Soviet Union. Cambridge, MA. [in English].
- Personal message for Arthur Goldberg from the President, congratulating him on showing U.S. commitment to the Helsinki Final Act and Human Rights generally in Belgrade [Online]. Avaliable from: http://www.memo.ru/. [in English].
- White House Memorandum for Hamilton Jordan, Subject: Human Rights, on the in effectiveness of White House human rights policy and inaction at embassy level [Online]. Avaliable from: http://memo.ru/. [in English].
- Zagorskij A. (2005) Hel’sinskij process. Peregovory v ramkah Soveshhanija po bezopasnosti i sotrudnichestvu v Evrope. Moskva: Izd-vo «Prava cheloveka». [in Russian].
- (1982) Implementation of the Final Act of the CSCE: Finding and Recommendation Seven Years after Helsinki. Washington, D.C.: U.S.Government Printing Office. [in English].
- (1982) Implementation of the Helsinki Final Act, Fifteenth Semiannual Report. Washington, D.C.: U.S.Government Printing Office. [in English].
- Hearing: Phase IV of the Madrid CSCE Review Meetings. 1982.
- Documents of CSCE/OME. 23, 46, 29, 44, 25, 37, 31.
- Annual Report of the Commission on Security and Cooperation in Europe for the Period Covering. 1985.